In truth, this is really a Saag recipe curry. The fact that you happen to thrown a few chunks of tikka style chicken breast in the end is neither here nor there. I’ll leave it to your own imaginations to theorize how this might become a Saag Panner recipe or Shrimp Saag recipe.
Whatever protein you choose its a fabulously rejuvenation curry for those days where you’re insistent on eating something that’s green and also possibly nutritious. Let’s just not talk about the addition of butter, cream or ghee to enrich the recipe at the end though, shhhh.
Chicken Tikka Saag Recipe
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
5 tbsp canola oil
1/2 onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp turmeric
1 tomato, chopped
16 ounces fresh spinach shredded
1/4 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp butter / cream
1 pound cooked chicken tikka pieces
1 handful cilantro
1. Sautee onion lightly in oil until it begins to brown
2. Add finely minces garlic and cook another minute
3. Stir in dry spices and cook for another couple minutes
4. Stir in diced tomato and cook until tomato begins to break down
5. Add stock and using using an immersion blender (or pour into standalone blender) puree into a fine mixture
6. Add shredded spinach and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook on low heat for 20-30 minutes. Flavors will integrate the longer the dish cooks.
7. Before serving fold in cooked chicken tikka, cilantro and melt in butter.